Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fat Kids Denied Soda at School

Go to CNN for the story. From what I can tell, President Clinton has met with some of the largest snack food makers to encourage them to make and sell healthier snacks at school. This follows the spring's decision amongst soft drink manufacturers to ban sales of full-calorie sodas at elementary and middle schools. Some critics have said that these measures aren't enough, but I think they're at least moving in the right direction.

That said, why not in hospitals or medical schools? The vending machines in the medical school offer pretzels as about their only healthy food option. Also, up until about 3 months ago, the healthiest thing I could find in the prepackaged section of the hospital cafeteria was Baked Lays, and that was only if you came in right after the Frito Lay guy had delivered them--they went quickly. The cafeteria has recently started selling the 100 calorie snack packs, which is how I became addicted to the Chip's Ahoy ones--100 calories of sheer goodness, let me tell you. But at 2 am, about all that's left are the Mrs. Baird's Cinnamon Rolls, which are approximately 1000 calories and 400 grams of fat apiece. Damn, they are tasty, though.

Many hospitals (although not the ones I work at) have actual McDonald's restaurants inside. Are the hospitals trying to create repeat business? I've always wondered.

I think I was trying to make a point, but I've derailed and all I can think about are Mrs. Baird's cinnamon rolls instead. Good thing I'm having homemade frosting with graham crackers (most important ingredient listed first) for dessert, to appease my ENORMOUS sweet tooth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

texas HEART institute has a mcDs