Saturday, November 10, 2007

Kitty Therapy

A patient yesterday told me "I didn't get depressed when I was diagnosed with [chronic condition]. I got a cat." I can totally understand. Don't get me wrong, dogs are great, too, and we like ours a lot.
That green blanket behind the dog is HIS personal (dog-gonal?) blanket up on our bed. He has a perfectly comfy dog bed on the floor, with a fleece blanket, but after we're asleep he jumps up on our bed, and if we don't give him his own blanket, he steals our covers and will nip at our feet. Of course, he's not the only one who steals covers:There is something special, though, I must admit, about being owned by a cat. (He is clearly the boss.) Even with the nipping my ankles, or gnawing on my hands, and the CONSTANT knocking stuff over, I am still captivated by this cat. Although if he doesn't stop knocking glasses of water over, or pulling picture frames off the wall, or trying to tip over the hubby's flat panel television, he may still end up free to a good home (or at least that's what I tell him).But he has this totally endearing way of jumping into your lap and demanding to be petted right away, followed by a loud purr when you scratch his ears. He also poses for the greatest pictures--it's like he's a little model, always looking for a photo op.Yes, that is my husband's backpack. He climbed in, stuck his head out, and took a nap. If you've ever met my cat, you'll know that we couldn't have posed him for any of this stuff, since a) he never listens to us, b) he's the boss, and c) he wouldn't sit still anyway, unless he put himself there.Note how the kitty has ahold of the dog's soft, squeaky bone. He will grab ahold of the dog's plushie bones, bite down, and then KICK with his back legs while lying on his side. It looks totally goofy.

So, allergies, asthma (it's getting better), knocked over and destroyed belongings, cat hair and all, it looks like this crazy feline is staying. And trust me, he is a BASKET CASE!Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love 'em.

Thursday, I was in the ER for my own personal reasons, and a therapy dog came walking by. I swear to god, my 7/10 pain went down to a 3 for that few seconds of puppy lovin'. Then it shot back up, but still...animals are miricle workers. I have one such grey cat sitting on my lap right now. Don't you just love it when they sigh really loudly? :)

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the Scrubs bit. "He's coding! Give me a box of kittens....STAT!!!"

Tiny Shrink said...

Yes, I do love the animal sighs, and yawns, etc. Sorry to hear you were in the ER, but glad to hear there was an animal to cheer you up!

And I love me some Scrubs.

Midwife with a Knife said...

You have a cute kitty there. I like that your kitty and your dog get along! People talk about there being cat and dog people. I'm not so sure that's really true. I think that there are pet people and non-pet people.

I have 2 cats (and your kitty pics are inspiring me to take some kitty pictures and post them), and I would love to have a dog (but have no way to be a responsible puppy person right now). I think my cats would like a puppy too (they like anything cuddly and warm).

Anyway, congratulations for discovering your inner cat-person.

Sorry... babbling....